11th “Mazurski” Artillery Regiment is going to become the first unit of the Polish Army equipped with this type of hardware.
According to the information provided to Defence24.pl by the Polish Ministry of Defence, the first of the “Regina” DMOs [Squadron Level Fire Modules] comprises of the following components:
- 155 mm “KRAB” self-propelled howitzers - 24 examples;
- Command and control vehicle for the commander - 1 example;
- Command and control vehicle for the chief of staff - 1 example;
- Command vehicle for the battery commanders - 3 examples;
- Command vehicle for the platoon commanders - 6 examples;
- Ammunition vehicle - 6 examples;
- Armament and electronics repair shop - 1 example;
- Liaison officer vehicle - 1 example.
The “Regina” programme, based upon the “Krab” armoured, tracked-chassis, self propelled howitzer, assumes that five squadrons with 24 cannons in each unit would be acquired. Throughout the first stage of the programme, the Army would receive the first Division with 24 howitzers. The first examples based on the Korean-made K9 chassis have been received by the Army last year. The agreement concerning the procurement of another four squadron-sized units has been signed in December 2016. As a result, until the year 2024, the Polish Army is to receive, in total, 120 155 mm “Krab” self-propelled howitzers.
In May 2017, the soldiers took part in a cycle of specialist training sessions prepared by the HSW S.A. company. The events took place, among other locations, also at the Orzysz training range.